Seven Reasons for the Family to visit Carlsbad this fall
By Hilary Townsend
As much of the country begins to cool and transition into fall, Southern California remains a sunny oasis for travelers. With nearly perfect weath- er, endless options for outdoor recreation and access to world-class attractions, no other destina- tion echoes ‘endless summer’ quite like the seaside community of Carlsbad.
1. Endless Summer Fun. With average fall temperatures in the 70s and 80s, summer fun keeps on rolling in Carls- bad. Soak in the sun and the sand on one of Carlsbad’s five gorgeous beaches or grab a surfboard and hit the waves. For the full beach experience, check out West Inn & Suites’ Pop-Up Beach Party experience, which includes round-trip transportation to any of Carlsbad’s beaches and a fully packed van with boogie boards, chairs, umbrellas, towels and beach toys.
2. Kids Stay and Play for Free. San Diego County’s popular Kids Free Month returns this October with new travel incen- tives for families. Across Carlsbad, kids can enjoy a variety of complimentary attraction admissions, museum entries and free meals. For the entire month of October, kids that stay at West Inn & Suites will receive cookies and milk at night, a free shuttle to LEGO- LAND California, and free passes to the Museum of Making Music. If guests mention “Piano” when booking, the hotel will also provide one free adult pass to the Museum of Making Music.
3. Museums with Spunk. Trade in those traditional rainy-day museums for a visit to some of Carlsbad’s most fun and quirky collections. The Museum of Making Music shares music history and vast col- lections of vintage, unusual and interactive instruments; while the GIA: Gemological Institute Of America has been showcasing some of the world’s rarest gemstones and jewels since 1931. Just a stone’s throw away, guests can learn all about Southern California’s surf culture and history at the California Surf Museum in neighboring Oceanside.
4. Leave Your Car at Home. Countering the stereotype that you must drive to experience Southern California, local hotel West Inn & Suites is urging guests to leave their keys at home and let their staff do the driving. Offering a complimentary shuttle service within a 5-mile radius of the hotel during Lego- land hours, guests can easily explore the seaside village and its many attractions, includ- ing the famous LEGOLAND California theme park, Water Park and SEA LIFE Aquari- um. Guests who wish to explore more of San Diego’s world-class attractions can hop a ride to the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner, which takes a scenic trip along the coastline into Downtown’s city center. Bonus: throughout the month of October, kids 12 and under ride the Pacific Surfliner for free!
5. Kid Fall Festivities. This Halloween, the Carlsbad Village transforms into a spooktacular destination, as LEGOLAND California prepares for its annual Brick-or-Treat celebration. Featuring a one-of-a-kind, 4-foot tall LEGO jack-o-lantern, costume contests and trick-or-treating along the park’s Brick-or-Treat Trail, adults and kids alike will delight in the fun.
6. Food Matters From September 20-27, 2015, visitors can sample all of Carlsbad’s fine dining options during San Diego Restaurant Week. During this yearly event, more than 180 restaurants across San Diego County will open their doors with specially priced prix-fixed meals for lunch and dinner.
7. Connect with Your Creative Side Carlsbad is home to a rich culture of arts, galleries, theatres and art-driven events. This fall, film buffs can check out the 3rd Annual La Costa Film Festival, September 10-13, 2015, showcasing documentaries, short films, feature films and extreme sports films; art enthusiasts can revel in the works at Carlsbad ArtSplash, September 26-27, 2015, featur- ing chalk art, music, entertainment and food; while music lovers can dance the night away at the Museum of Making Music’s weekly concerts, held Saturdays and Sundays through November.
Author Hilary Townsend is a writer and public relations representative for West Inn & Suites, an 86-room boutique hotel in Carlsbad.